Spice up your pastry selection with some chai scrolls. We've all tried and tested our cinnamon, so why not mix it up?
For the dough:
¾ cup warm milk
2 ¼ teaspoons yeast
¼ cup granulated sugar
1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, at room temperature
¼ cup unsalted butter, melted
3 cups bread flour, plus more for dusting
3/4 teaspoon salt
For the filling:
2/3 cup Chai Powder (we use Arkadia Chai)
¼ cup unsalted butter, softened
For the cream cheese frosting:
4 oz cream cheese, softened
3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup powdered sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup Chai Powder (we use Arkadia Chai)
1. Warm milk by placing milk in a microwave safe bowl and microwaving it for 40-45 seconds. It should be like warm bath water. Transfer warm milk to the bowl of an electric mixer and sprinkle yeast on top. Add in sugar, egg, egg yolk and melted butter. Mix until well combined. Next stir in flour and salt with a wooden spoon until a dough begins to form.
2. Place the dough hook on a stand mixer and knead dough on medium speed for 8 minutes. Dough should form into a nice ball and be slightly sticky. If you don’t want to use an electric mixer, you can use your hands to knead the dough for 8-10 minutes on a well-floured surf
3. Transfer dough ball to a well-oiled bowl, cover with plastic wrap and a warm towel. Allow the dough to rise for 1 hour to 1 ½ hours, or until doubled in size. This may need more or less time depending on the humidity and temperature in your home.
4. After dough has doubled in size, transfer dough to a well-floured surface and roll out into a 14x9 inch rectangle. Mix the softened butter and chai powder together and spread over the dough leaving a 1cm margin on each side.
5. Tightly roll dough up, starting from the 9-inch side and place the seam side down making sure to seal the edges of the dough. Cut off the ends to make it neat and cut into 2cm sections with a serrated knife or floss. You should get 9 large pieces.
6. Place chai scrolls in a greased and lined 9x9 inch baking pan or round 9 inch cake pan. Cover with plastic wrap and a warm towel and let rise again for 30-45 minutes.
7. Preheat the oven to 180degrees C. Remove plastic wrap and towel and bake chai scrolls for 20-25 minutes or until just slightly golden brown on the edges. Allow them to cool slightly before icing.
8. To make the icing: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar and vanilla extract and chai powder. Beat until smooth and fluffy. Spread over the scrolls and enjoy!
We have chai from Arkadia, Origin Tea, Naked Syrups, Prana Chai and Bondi Chai available.
Click here to shop: